1928 baby Osamu
1941 Junior High
"New Treasure Island"
October 4th, 1959,
BlackJack publication cover
Shares knowlege at Manga Expo '82
Tezuka Osamu Museum
Tezuka - Life Outline
(**Click on images at left and linked words to
view full size images seperate window)
- Born eldest son of Tezuka, Yataka & Fumika in Osaka
1937 - At 9 yrs old
writes his 1st manga about himslef called Pin Pin Namachan
- his favorite magato read was Norakuro & Small
General by Suihon Tagawa which was featured in his subscription
to Minor Citizen Paper
1939 - At about 11
years old, he writes the picture story Martian come over!
manga Fishing With Fuku -Chan His long magna Night
in China circulates his
classroom and impressed his classmates & teacher
1942 - creates an animal
lovers group w/ his friends at age 14
1943-1944 - creates
a series of animal picture
1945 - enters the medical
dept of Osaka U. & writews Old Fellows Treasure Island
which becomes West Rush & Ghost Fellw
in Indian Ink
1946 - writes the 1st
of the Lost World
1947 - Brings out New
Treasure Island book w/ sotr b Shichima Sakai, sold 400
artificail intelligence sci-fi, was published as a graphic novel
(released as a long animation in 2001)
1950 - Jungle
Emperor Leo is to be serialized under the publisher, Gathudaousha
in the comic magazine called Manga Shonen, he is 22
1951 - graduates form
the medical dept. of Osaka U.
- Joins children;s manga society of Tokyo (Jimannagaya)
1955 - Mushi
Neuo starts the Tezuka Osamu Friendship Club
1957 - Astroboy
starts airing on Tokyo TV
- Tezuka appears on the TV program Everybody Wants to See
Him on Tokyo TV
1958 - Beeko-chan
& Cartoonist Seminar on Biology recieves Shogakukan
Publisher Manga Prize
- Joins Kids Manga Festival held by CMST
- Produces 1st animation His Yu Chi by Toei Films
- Assoc. of Artists Pub. award him for oil paintings
1959- Matsuzaki Production
produces TV drama "AstroBoy" on Fuji TV
- Oct. 4th, Tezuka marries Etsuko Okada
1960- On Japan Educational
TV program "Echo of Tokyo, from View of Manga Writer."
1961- Birth of eldest
- Establisment of Tezuka Osamu Production Animation
1962- Changes production
name to "Mushi Productions"
- "Adventures of Sinbad","AstroBoy" movie,
& writing "Doggie March" for Toei Films
1963- Visits America
for NBC/AstroBoy contract
- Recieves various awards & honors such as Blue Ribbon Educational
Culture Film Award , the Encouragment Award from the 17th Art
Festival, & the Noburo Award at 17th Marnichi Film Contest
for "Tales of Street Corner."
numerous animations & illustrations such as "Amaziing
Three", "warriors of Univers", & "Mermaid."
1966- "Kimba the
white Lion" (Jungle Emporer) wins film of the year Childrens'
Cultural Asset Center & Public Welfare, & Award for Broadcastiing.
- Releases "Pictures at an Exhibition" (which wins 4
major awards in 1967)
- "New Jungle Emporor: Go Ahead Leo!" goes on air
- "Pheonix" starts print in the 1st issue of "Com"
- 193rd and final episode of "AstroBoy"
Exhibiton" opens at Cafekobotan later with conversation and
screening of "Tales on a Street Corner", Pictures at
an Exhibition", and "Drop"
1970- Produces "Kindly
Lion", and wins many awards such as the Noburo Award
-Recieves the Manga Section Kodan-sha Publishing Cultural Award
of Children for "Pheonix"
- Becomes president of Mushi Productions Co.
- Releases "Cleopatra" long animation- drafted, organized,
& directed w/ Eiichi Yamamoto
1971- Becomes judge
of 'Tezuka Osamu Award'
- Declines from presidancy of Mushi Productions Co.
1973- Mushi Productions
Osamu 30 Years Exhibition" opens at Ogikubo Shimizu Museum
1975- Wins awards for
"Black Jack", "Buddha", & "A Pet
1977- Exhibitions at
KBS Realisim Center in Kyoto & at Ikebakuro Seibu
1978- Leo becomes mascot
of the baseball team the Seibu Lions
1980- At 54 years old,
wites, drafts, & directs the long animation "Pheonix
2772: Space Firebird"
in "Manga Expo '82" at Uenonomori Museum
1983- Released the
"Fantastic Adventure of Unico II" producted by Sanrio
(makers of "Hello Kitty")
1988- Recieves Asahi
Award for Creative Achievements After War
- Created sculpture "Laughter" for Kawasaki-shin Citezen
Museum for exhibit of "Tezuka Osamu's Special world"
1989- Feb 9th, dies
of stomach cancer at age 60
-Recieves many awards such as Producer of the Year, TV ATP Award
Special Prize of All-Japan
Osamu Exhibition" held at Tokyo Modern Museum
1991- Wins 1st place
at "19th Pia Best 10 Art Section" of the magazine "Pia"
for Tezuka Osamu Manga
1996- "Black Jack
Exhibition" at Tezuka Osamu Manga Meseum, followed by many
other seasonal and monthly exhibitions still going on today
- Visitors to his museum exceeds 1 million
stamp "50 Years After War Memorial 5 Osamu Tezuka" is